Psychological Evaluations For Children, Teenagers, and Adults in Chicago
The purpose of a psychological evaluation is to develop a representation of the status of brain functions and related behaviors of an individual. Neuropsychological assessment is not limited to the evaluation of one’s IQ, cognitive abilities, and academic performance, but also includes the whole range of executive functioning abilities, emotional, and behavioral processes, as well as personal traits and social patterns. Neuropsychological assessment includes obtaining information from various sources, such as clinical interviews, current and past medical records, school records, .and previous psychophysiological evaluations. The results of a neuropsychological assessment can provide information regarding the current status of a person’s brain functioning, which serves as a foundation for a diagnosis and treatment plan.
- The parents of an individual who is referred for an evaluation, or the adult patient, are contacted by an evaluator to arrange an initial diagnostic interview to discuss questions to be answered by the evaluation. The type of evaluation completed will be determined at the end of this meeting (neuropsychological, educational, or emotional).
- Next, two separate four-hour consecutive testing sessions are scheduled. If needed, additional testing hours will be scheduled on a separate day. A typical neurological evaluation takes between 8 and 10 hours to complete. The amount of administration time depends upon the speed with which the examinee completes all relevant measures.
- Testing sessions occur typically between the hours of 9 am and 3 pm. Please note that weekend appointments fill up quickly. Also, an absentee note will be provided for children and adolescents who are evaluated on a scheduled school day.
- Once all the tests are administered and scored, a comprehensive report is completed. This report includes the results of the measures, a discussion of strengths and challenges, a relevant diagnosis, and recommendations. These reports could take eight weeks to complete, depending on how quickly the measures provided to the parents and teachers are completed and returned to the examiner.
- A feedback session is scheduled to review the findings and recommendations of the evaluation. Parents, or the adult patient, are also informed of relevant diagnoses, of additional services, or of the need for further evaluations and if educational supports should be requested from the school, when the patient is still a student.
- Afg Guidance Center is an in-network provider for Blue Cross Blue Shield PPO. BCBS insurance will be billed per hour of test administration, test scoring, and report writing. Any deductibles and copays are the responsibility of the insurance policy holder.
- Payment for all self-pay individuals is made at the end of each testing session based upon an hourly rate. A final payment for the time spent scoring and writing a report at the same hourly rate will be required prior to the release of a report. A detailed receipt for reimbursement from the insurance company will be provided.
- For more information please contact Kimberly Mula, PsyD at 847-853-0234 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Schedule an Appointment in Lincolnshire or Northfield
For more information about our psychological assessments, contact AFG Guidance Center in Northfield or Lincolnshire.